Friday, September 26, 2008

snorkeling Waterlemon Cay

First off -- that's "Waterlemon", not Watermelon. I had been reading it wrong for more than 10 years and didn't pick that up until someone pointed it out to me. Doh! Anyway, here's a view of it from the Leinster Bay trail:



The little island that's foremost on the left is Waterlemon Cay. I swam out there on advice from my Charlottesville electrician, who wanted to remedy my lack of starfish viewing. (If you don't have an electrician who doubles as an underwater naturalist, you'll need to upgrade. Email me for Kurt's number.)
The reef around the cay is beautiful, and I swam with huge parrotfish longer than my forearm. Alas, despite following Kurt's directions meticulously, I found no starfish. Maybe it's the time of day I'm going (late afternoon)? Are they all heading home for tea or something?
I'll be coming out here again when I have time to do some hiking. Lots of great trails. And I found a bunch of seaglass on this visit, too.

No comments: