Saturday, September 6, 2008

A Coral Bay day

This afternoon I headed out to Coral Bay on the eastern side of the island to pick up silk painting supplies. I was beginning to mentally kick myself for not making the time to pack up my own art supplies before leaving Virginia. But the planets aligned when I stepped into Syzygy Gallery earlier this week. Owner/artist Barr Lewis cut me a sweet deal on her silk equipment because she's preparing to return to her native Canada next year. I'm psyched to start painting again!


I made an afternoon of exploring the Salt Pond and Ram Head beaches and trails. Ram Head is the southernmost point of St. John, and the views are amazing, with plenty of flora





and fauna





along the way.


The view from the early part of the trail





was lovely, but staring at it too long can be hazardous if you're not watching your step on this rocky beach. Of course, the rocks are lovely themselves,


and they inspire scuplture:





(I'm pretty sure that's meant to represent a Hawksbill sea turtle, but use your imagination as needed.)


The view from the end of the trail is way more lovely than a photo can capture.





To quench my thirst after several miles of hiking, I stopped at Aqua Bistro for a Bushwacker. There I discovered pit bulls Ginger and Otis (sorry, Allison, no photos), whose introduction led me to meet a number of friendly folks. From there the evening progressed to a delicious home-cooked dinner at a beautiful villa overlooking Coral Bay--a splendid finish to a delightful day.

No comments: